• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 red onion, chopped
• 2 carrots, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 4 stalks celery, sliced
• 1 tin (400g) lentils, drained
• 2 tins beans of choice, drained • 1 cup vegetable stock
• 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
• 2 cups frozen peas
• salt and milled pepper to taste
For the topping:
• 1 large butternut, peeled
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• A sprig of rosemary
• to taste salt and milled pepper
1. Heat the oil in a pot and fry the onion until golden. Add carrot, garlic and celery, and fry for another 3 minutes. Add lentils, beans, stock, balsamic vinegar and thyme, and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Stir through the peas and season well with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to an oven-proof dish and set aside.
3. Boil the butternut until tender and drain, add olive oil, rosemary and mash until smooth. Season well.
4. Spread potato over the lentil mixture and rough over the top with a fork.
5. Drizzle over a little more olive oil and bake at 200 ° C for 20 minutes or until golden on top. Serve hot straight from the oven.